Wall Blocking Technique for Youth Football

Wall Blocking Technique for Youth Football
read more about agen bolabandar bola terbesarsitus bola terbesaragen judi terpercayaagen bola piala dunia

There have been a few constants over my many years of coaching and one of them has been this basic type of block I have taught our offensive linemen. It is a modified version of zone blocking I like to call wall blocking.

This blocking has been the one staple in my over twenty years of coaching pee wee football, for my offensive linemen. It is the most elementary strategy to coach and is good at all levels of play. This type of blocking has brought my teams great success for all different ages groups. It has been used with great success on my championship fourteen year old travel teams as well as the younger teams I have been a part of. Heck, I have even exploited wall blocking on my five year old flag football team.

The easiest manner in which to instruct wall blocking is to start the linemen with very tight splits. A split is the distance between the lineman next to you. You instruct the entire line that on the snap of the football all of the lineman move united, keeping as close to each other as possible.

Teach this technique to both the right and the left making sure the lineman stay together "like a wall" as they move together in unison. The secret is making sure that all of the offensive linemen open up, seal, move in the same direction and at the equivalent speed. There will be multiple repetitions needed to make sure in the wall stays intact, especially when the players start moving in a direction. Keeping repeating it to the kids, telling them we cannot allow any holes, or penetration in our wall. Tell the kids the if there are open areas, or penetration against our wall, we will leak, allowing for the worst case scenario. The worst case scenario would be allowing defensive players to get into our backfield, meaning our plays will go nowhere.

We have a main goal and that is to hold together a compressed moving wall, in a single direction.

A few of the primary advantages of wall blocking include:

Not difficult to instruct It is successful versus any defensive alignment It neutralizes defensive blitzing It works both ways (left and right) It has been successful with every age group It has been successful with every kind of unique skill level It has been successful in making outstanding open areas for the running game

Wall blocking has been and always will be an crucial blocking plan I teach to every player, on every squad I coach. It is usually the first scheme we teach because we will use it early and frequently. I understand the benefits it gives my team no matter which style of offense I am using this season.

0 comments